Welcome to the scenic and wild Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys! Here you will find some of the most beautiful and diverse hiking trails in Canada. From peaceful walks through old-growth forests, to challenging climbs with breathtaking views, there is something for everyone. Whether you’re a novice or an experienced hiker, these 10 trails are sure to leave you feeling inspired. So grab your backpack, lace up your boots, and get ready for an unforgettable adventure!
- 1. Kettle Valley Railway Trail – The KVR is a world-renowned multi-use recreational trail that stretches from Hope to Castlegar and traverses the rugged terrain of BC’s Southern Interior, taking hikers through valleys, over bridges, trestles and tunnels on an epic journey that covers over 1000 km.
- Myra Canyon Trestles – This 12 km stretch of old railway line between Kelowna and Penticton features 18 trestles, hundreds of meters above the canyon floor.
- Carmi Mountain Trails – Just outside of Princeton lies the idyllic mountain trails at the top of Carmi Mountain, which offer spectacular views of the Similkameen Valley.
- Anarchist Mountain Trail – The 6 km trail offers hikers a challenging climb to the top of Anarchist Mountain, from where there are breathtaking views of the Okanagan Valley below.
- Emerald Lake Trails – Starting near Fintry Provincial Park and heading south, these trails around beautiful Emerald Lake offer peaceful walks through old growth forest with picturesque views of the lake.
- Mystic Beach Loop Trail – This 4km loop is located near Oyama in Kalamalka Lake Provincial Park and takes you along wooded pathways beside the beach before climbing up through dense forest to a viewpoint overlooking Kalamalka Lake and Okanagan Valley beyond.
- Apex Mountain Trails – Located on the slopes of Apex Mountain ski resort near Penticton, this network of trails offer incredible views as you hike through alpine meadows and over rocky ridges.
- Nighthawk Loop Trail – This 6.5 km loop takes hikers up to a viewpoint overlooking Osoyoos Lake before winding back down through grassy meadows and old-growth forest just outside of Oliver.
- Skaha Bluffs Provincial Park – With spectacular views of Okanagan Lake below, these technical routes are some of the best rock climbing in Canada and also provide an interesting hiking opportunity for anyone who is looking for something more adventurous.
- Three Blind Mice Trail – This 4km trail takes hikers from near Naramata to the top of Three Blind Mice Mountain with spectacular views of Okanagan Lake, Bankhead and surrounding areas.
From emerald lake shores to rocky mountain peaks, the Okanagan and Similkameen Valleys offer some of the best hiking opportunities in Canada. Whether it’s a leisurely stroll through old-growth forests or a challenging climb to mountain view points, these 10 trails will provide you with an unforgettable experience. So what are you waiting for? Pack your bags, lace up your boots and get ready for an adventure of a lifetime! Happy Hiking!
If you want to stay up-to-date on the latest hiking trails and tips, subscribe to our newsletter now! By signing up, you’ll receive exclusive access to new information, photos and travel inspiration. So don’t wait – sign up today and get ready for your next unforgettable adventure! Happy Hiking!