DID YOU KNOW? From roaring across the snow-covered terrain to providing access to remote and isolated backcountry, snowmobiles have become an iconic winter vehicle. But when were snowmobiles first invented?The earliest model was created in the 1920s. The first snowmobile prototype was developed by Joseph-Armand Bombardier and his brother Adrien in Quebec, Canada. The brothers began constructing their first snowmobile in 1922. Their initial design used a gasoline engine, and in 1925 the first snowmobile prototype was officially tested. The snowmobile’s design was further developed with the addition of a more powerful engine, which helped propel it more efficiently over the snow.
Snowmobiling is a great way to explore the beautiful terrain of British Columbia’s Okanagan and Similkameen regions. From ski resorts with groomed trails suited for all skill levels, to backcountry trails perfect for freeriding, there are lots of places to take your snowmobile in this stunning area. Here we have put together a list of 8 top snowmobiling locations in the Okanagan and Similkameen that you should definitely check out! Enjoy!
1. Coquihalla Summit Recreation Area – This area is located in Hope, and boasts great terrain for snowmobiling, including an abundance of backcountry trails.
2. Princeton-Merritt Snowmobile Trails – These trails offer more than 100 km of groomed trails that are suitable for all skill levels.
3. Manning Park Resort – This resort offers some of the best alpine riding in the Okanagan with over 40 km of groomed trails and access to BC’s best powdery snow conditions.
4. Sun Peaks Ski Resort – Located near Kamloops, this ski resort offers a wide range of terrain perfect for snowmobilers looking for a day on the slopes.
5. Big White Ski Resort – Located near Kelowna, Big White offers a variety of terrain perfect for snowmobilers, with over 50 km of groomed trails and access to BC’s best powdery snow conditions.
6. Apex Mountain Resort – This resort near Penticton boasts some of the best freeriding and backcountry terrain in the area, as well as an extensive network of groomed trails.
7. Nickel Plate Nordic Centre – This centre located near Summerland is home to some amazing alpine riding opportunities as well as an extensive network of trails suitable for every level of rider.
8. Kettle Valley Snowmobile Club – This club located near Oliver has an extensive network of groomed trails suitable for every level of rider.
We hope that this list of 8 top snowmobiling locations in the Okanagan and Similkameen has helped you decide which places to check out on your next snowmobile adventure. From alpine riding to backcountry trails, there is something for everyone in these beautiful areas of BC. So grab your gear and enjoy an unforgettable experience! Happy snowmobiling!
If you want to stay up to date on the best snowmobiling locations in the Okanagan and Similkameen, then subscribe to our email list! We’ll keep you informed of all the latest updates, events and news about snowmobiling in this stunning region. Sign up now for exclusive offers and promotions! You won’t regret it.